Overweight and obesity are becoming more common, and in recent years the efforts of specialists have focused on finding adequate remedies to combat the two problems.
The holoprotein diet goes in this direction and is a real therapy, very effective in the treatment of overweight and obesity.
Definition of the holoprotein diet
The oleoprotein diet is a diet with nutritious proteins and a ketogenic tendency. It is used in a specialized medical center to treat obesity with or without metabolic pathologies, especially for technical gnonoids that do not respond correctly to traditional low calorie therapy.
It lasts for 21 days, during which time the patient should lose 10% of his body weight. There follows a period of maintenance, during which the forbidden foods are gradually reintroduced.
History of the holoprotein diet
The theoretical basis of this diet is the studies of Prof. Blackburn from Harvard University who, studying the metabolic phenomena that occur during fasting, accurately determined the protein needs of the body and showed that caloric deprivation (ie complete absence of carbohydrates) can neutralizes the anabolic effect of insulin on fat metabolism, in other words – fat accumulation.
Observing the phenomena that occur in absolute fasting, Blackburn found that by eating small amounts of protein, slight changes were made in the metabolic response and it was possible to neutralize the negative nitrogen balance (the result of protein destruction), so the dangers of absolute fasting would could be eliminated by ingesting carbohydrate-free proteins.
During these studies, Blackburn accurately calculated the amount of protein that should be consumed during fasting to protect lean body mass and concluded that it should be between 1.2 and 1.5 g per kilogram. of ideal weight.
Therefore, he showed that it is possible to achieve important results without excess protein characteristic of high-protein diets and thus was born the holoprotein diet that protects the balance of nitrogen, lean mass and eliminates hunger due to the state of ketosis that accompanies it. .
Starting with Blakburn’s studies, the holoprotein diet was conceived and later perfected in the late 1990s. Then, the idea of the holoprotein diet was developed by a team of Italian scientists, led by prof.Giuseppe Castaldo , head of the UOR of dietetics and clinical nutrition AORN and of high specialty “San Giuseppe Moscati” from Avellino.
Who is Castaldo?
Prof. Giuseppe Castaldo is a doctor in nutrition, but also specializes in gastroenterology, surgery, internal medicine, aesthetics and homeopathy.
Born in Naples in June 1950, Giuseppe Castaldo graduated in medicine in his hometown, Magna Cum Laudae. He teaches medicine at the University of Naples and continues to be part of prestigious academic research groups in Italy, France and the United States.
In addition to the holoprotein diet, he also created the low-calorie Mediterranean diet, the methods being customized for over 20,000 patients. Some nutritional therapies have also been used to treat certain types of cancer and dermatological conditions, such as psoriasis.
Principles of the holoprotein diet
Castaldo invented a special term to define exactly what the holoprotein diet is, namely “food liposuction”, characterized by the following innovative elements:
- Use of amino acids that stimulate the synthesis of GH and purified serum proteins with a contribution equal to 1.4 g per kilogram of ideal weight in both sexes;
- A proportion of carbohydrates between 10 and 20 g per day (are the carbohydrates present in vegetables) and a weight of lipids equal to 10 g per day (2 teaspoons) of extra extra virgin olive oil;
- Protein intake of 50%, being in the holoprotein diet specific supplements and the other 50% of selected foods;
- According to Castaldo, the holoprotein diet lasts 21 days – necessary to achieve therapeutic efficacy without side effects;
- Integration with alkalizing minerals to modulate metabolic acidosis and its clinical consequences, caused by the production of acidic substances such as ketone bodies;
- Precise integration of minerals (especially potassium, magnesium and calcium) that are significant but lost during the ketogenic process;
- Supplementation according to a precise protocol of trace elements, vitamins, omega3, phytotherapy with draining and uricosuric action, hepatoprotective hypertonia and modulator frequently determined by these dietary types;
- The inclusion of the holoprotein diet in weight loss methods that involve the use of low-calorie diets, inspired by the Mediterranean diet, to improve and stabilize weight loss and implement a food re-education program.
How the holoprotein diet works
One of the main problems we face globally is that most foods are high in sugar and carbohydrates.
Consuming in excess, not only promotes excess fat, but creates addiction, being so difficult to give them up permanently.
Holoprotein diet therapy aims to solve this problem, managing from the first three days to completely reduce the need to eat sweet foods. It works on the basis of two essential elements:
- Personalized diet;
- Therapy with protein food supplements (powders), with vitamins, minerals and collagen, but also herbal supplements, which energize and protect the digestive system and give patients a very good general physical and mental condition.
With the maintenance of the holoprotein diet, there is a decrease in glucose with the consequent activation of the catabolism of triglycerides present in adipocytes (fat cells).
From the synthesis of two Acetyl-CoA molecules, acetacetic acid is formed, which is converted to acetone and beta-hydroxy-butyric acid. These three compounds are called ketone bodies.
The formation of ketone bodies produces many positive effects in the body :
- Provides the energy needed during the diet (replaces glucose as fuel);
- It also facilitates the use of free fatty acids by the brain, which transforms its energy source using 80% of the metabolism of ketone bodies, which are transported by the blood and pass through cell membranes, providing free energy to cells;
- It stimulates the satiety center, located in the hypothalamus, inducing an anti-hunger physiological effect and, consequently, the inhibition of the sensation of hunger starting from the second or third day from the beginning of the holoprotein diet.
In practice, the body uses a spare fuel (ketone bodies) that is drawn directly from the accumulated fat, without affecting lean mass. During the diet, the almost exclusive intake of protein, which is a very low calorie intake, forces the body to use its own fat reserves (fuel reserve).
The formation of ketone bodies is the metabolic key that allows, by dissolving fat, to obtain the best results without energy deficiencies.
Ketone bodies do not only play an energetic role. They are also used by the brain to produce psychotonic and antidepressant effects, with an increase in intellectual processes and improved mood.
According to the holoprotein diet, the liposuction effect is due to the fact that the systems of liposynthetic enzymes and lipolysis of adipose tissue are regulated by the hormonal axis. Insulin and cortisol contribute to the deposition of adipose tissue in the abdomen, while estrogen (female sex hormones) is concentrated on the accumulation of gynoids.
To demonstrate this system, a study was conducted by Prof. Loftus and Lane , showing that insulin and estrogen stimulate PPAR, which regulates both fatty acid accumulation and glucose metabolism. Finally, the holoprotein diet tries to minimize insulin.
According to the study, it seems that diet also contributes to the disappearance of symptoms associated with PMS, but also reduces a very broad symptom associated with venous and lymphatic recovery (itching, swelling, numbness, cramps, etc.).
How to maintain a holoprotein diet
The holoprotein diet does not resort to the supply of drugs, but only to supplements of amino acids-proteins, minerals, vitamins and many other natural substances that are used to make the weight loss method safe and effective, ensuring the protection of muscle mass and tissue tone.
It is not a diet that can be improvised, but a real cure that must be developed by an expert doctor and that must be followed for a limited time, 3 weeks, during which time the loss of 7-10% of the initial weight is guaranteed.
To get the result of eliminating visceral fat, the diet can be followed only by healthy people, those affected by metabolic syndrome or with signs of prediabetes, according to all medical criteria.
The holoprotein diet should be included in an appropriate, personalized therapeutic strategy and, in any case, after three weeks, it should always be alternated with a low calorie diet, with a precise ratio between protein, carbohydrates and fats, with a specific indication of food distribution during the day and with a menu model for days that must meet five meals.
It is also essential to consume water – at least 2 liters per day.
After the 21 days of the first phase, in which there is a list of prerequisite foods, the holoprotein diet involves a second phase, in which the initially forbidden foods – those with carbohydrates – are gradually reintroduced. At first, the diet will be a dissociated one, where carbohydrates are not associated with fats at the same meal. Over time, it returns to a normal, but balanced and healthy diet.
Foods allowed and forbidden
It is a rather restrictive diet, but since you can eat protein, you will not suffer from hunger. Protein ensures a long-lasting feeling of satiety and ensures the maintenance of muscle mass.
The list of foods allowed in the holoprotein diet is quite long and varied, so it will be easy to create a weekly menu in the holoprotein diet to your liking.
The diet allows :
- Meat consumption (of any kind), as long as it is lean: fish, chicken, turkey, beef;
- Green leafy vegetables are recommended, for example: spinach, lettuce, but also other vegetables that grow on the surface of the soil: eggplant, zucchini, radishes, cucumbers;
- To give more flavor to the food, you can use olive oil (but in moderation) or apple cider vinegar and spices such as pepper, scotch, turmeric, cloves, nutmeg, bay leaves, hot peppers, greens, onions, garlic;
- You can also eat: mushrooms, cabbage, bell peppers, zucchini, beet leaves, artichokes, fennel, asparagus. They are eaten cooked, in the form of pasta, raw, individually or combined;
- Salads seasoned with lemon juice, salt and pepper are recommended;
- Tomatoes can be used for cooking meat, fish, but in limited quantities;
- In addition to vegetables and meat, the consumption of fish and seafood is indicated, with precise indications of quantities depending on the needs, weight and problems of each patient;
- In terms of drinks, coffee (2 cups a day), plain water, green tea sweetened with stevia or sucrose, ginger tea, chamomile or hawthorn are allowed.
Prohibited foods :
- those containing sugar;
- beverages containing sugar;
- orange juices etc;
- dairy products.
Natural, whole, fresh, seasonal foods are preferable. It is allowed to eat frozen food and encourage the consumption of protein supplements, which will replace some meals and snacks.
Menu for a day
For the first 21 days you can serve a protein shake for breakfast and the first snack of the day. At lunch, you can afford lean meat, such as beef, chicken, turkey, combined with vegetables (except potatoes). You can eat a piece of grilled or baked meat with a salad or grilled vegetables. A protein shake is recommended for the afternoon snack. So is dinner.
- Meat (turkey or beef) – 700 g;
- Bell peppers – 1 piece;
- Carrots – 1 piece;
- Onions – 1 piece;
- Garlic – 1 puppy;
- Soy sauce – 5 teaspoons;
- Lemon (lemon juice) – 1 piece;
- Ground pepper – to taste;
- Vegetable oil;
- Salt – to taste.
Cooking steps :
Cut the meat into thin, elongated strips. Cook marinade. To do this, mix the soy sauce and lemon juice. Put the meat in the marinade. Add the finely chopped garlic and let it marinate for about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, cut the onion in half into rings. Cut the carrots into cubes and the pepper – straw. Mix the meat and vegetables, add salt and pepper and cook until the meat is ready.
Georgian beef with vegetables
- Meat of life – 700-800 g;
- Potatoes – 4-5 pcs;
- Eggplant – 1-3 pcs;
- Hot peppers – 2-3 pieces;
- Tomatoes – 3-5 pcs;
- Onions – 2-4 pcs;
- Garlic – 3 puppies;
- Unt – 50 g;
- Vegetable oil – 50-70 ml;
- Greenery (basil, coriander, parsley) – 50-100 g;
- Salt – to taste.
Cooking Steps :
Before cooking, all vegetables and meat are cut into strips and stewed. Then fill the baking tin with the layered vegetables and meat. Between layers, add butter and spices. Sprinkle with chopped fresh greens, garlic and chopped hot peppers. Place in preheated oven for about 1 hour at 180 degrees.
Mushrooms in soy sauce, with garlic and dill
- Mushrooms – 400 g;
- Fresh dill – 0.5 link;
- Garlic – 2 cloves;
- Olive oil – 50 ml;
- Soy sauce – 2 tbsp;
- Apple cider vinegar – 1 tbsp;
- Ground coriander – 0.5 tsp;
- Bay leaf – 1 piece;
- Salt – to taste;
- Ground black pepper – to taste.
Cooking steps :
Rinse the mushrooms in cold water. Pour 2 liters of water into the pan and bring to a boil. Add 2 teaspoons of salt without a tip. Put the mushrooms in salted water. Bring the water back to a boil and cook the mushrooms over medium heat for about 4-5 minutes. Drain the mushrooms and let them cool until warm. Rinse the dill, finely chop.
Peel a squash, grate it and chop it. In a bowl, combine dill, garlic, olive oil, soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, ground coriander, bay leaf, a pinch of salt and ground black pepper. Mix the combined ingredients. The mushroom marinade is ready. Put the mushrooms in the marinade. Stir. Cover the bowl with cling film and refrigerate the mushrooms in the marinade for 30 minutes to 10 hours.
Bean pods with eggs
- Frozen green beans – 350 g;
- Eggs – 2 pcs;
- Unt – 40 g;
- Salt – to taste;
- What – 75 ml.
Cooking steps :
Prepare the necessary products. Rinse frozen green beans with cold water to remove ice particles formed during storage. Boil water in a saucepan. Add the pods and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce the heat, cover the pan with a lid. Cook the beans until soft, about 7 minutes.
After that, add butter to the pan and simmer the beans under the lid for another 3 minutes. Crush the eggs in a separate bowl, add a pinch of salt. Beat the mixture with a fork for about 30 seconds to mix the egg whites and yolks.
Pour the beaten eggs into the pan. At this stage, the water is not completely evaporated, which in combination with melted butter will give the egg mixture a juicy and creamy taste. Stir periodically, cook the beans for another 3-4 minutes, until the eggs are completely ready. Turn off the heat and add more salt if necessary.
Avoid being sedentary, that is, afternoon sleep, long periods in a sitting position, using the elevator and the car for short trips.
Do daily physical activities, but without a high level of effort: exercise bike, treadmill, brisk walking, dancing, cycling. Body treatments / packaging would also be effective.
The benefits of the holoprotein diet
The holoprotein diet is said to be a strictly medical therapy, the application of which conforms to the strict rules followed by expert doctors, able to evaluate the necessary indications, contraindications and controls.
Among the advantages :
- Rapid weight loss;
- Lack of hunger, which occurs from the second to the third day for the production of toned bodies, considered anorectic physiological agents;
- Protection of muscle mass, due to the optimal supply of proteins and amino acids, in fact, weight loss affects only fat mass, respecting lean mass, especially the myocardium (heart muscle);
- Excellent tolerance of treatment – due to the properties of ketone bodies and protein intake, the patient maintains good muscle tone and dynamism, increasing self-confidence and being able to take care of his health;
- Contributes to the treatment of metabolic syndrome, obtaining a normalization of metabolic changes, such as hypercholesterolemia, hypertension, insulin resistance evidenced by the improvement or normalization of the index;
- The regimen also helps treat non-insulin-dependent diabetes and is a key tool in curing obesity. It is especially beneficial for those who suffer from type 2 diabetes, because the blood sugar decreases to natural values, the oral antidiabetics being suspended during the cure;
- In addition, the holoprotein diet improves macro-microcirculation in the legs.
Side effects in the holoprotein diet
Because carbohydrates are completely excluded, side effects can occur. It is especially true for those who were consumers of sweets.
They will experience weakness, fatigue, hunger, headaches and halitosis. But over time, the body gets used to the lack of carbohydrates, and the feeling of hunger disappears and the patient regains his energy.
Holoprotein Diet: Opinions and Results
The holoprotein diet continues to gain increasing scientific consensus and great success among those to whom it has been prescribed.
This diet therapy is accompanied by a wide range of cases and numerous international experiments. In Italy, the protocols performed covered over twenty thousand cases and all with excellent results.
But, along with the diet, it is necessary to correct the excessive sedentary lifestyle, going at least half an hour a day in a constant and continuous rhythm, because any diet, in order to give maximum results, must be accompanied by exercise. Recent studies have confirmed that regular aerobic physical activity constantly improves insulin resistance in humans and reduces the level of liver fat in sedentary obese people.
The evidence comes from an Australian research team that evaluated the concentrations of fat in the blood, liver, abdomen and muscles, monitoring them by magnetic resonance imaging and spectroscopy.
On the other hand, there are opinions that it is an indecent, unstable system, especially for those who lead an active lifestyle.
This requires a mass consumption of food additives, which, on the one hand – are necessary, and on the other hand – will be difficult to facilitate the work of the liver and especially the kidneys. The scheme is based on interesting research, but the data provided by the authors are not unbiased, therefore they are not absolutely indicative.
In addition, it is very easy to gain weight again if you return to your old eating habits, so it is recommended that a healthy lifestyle be reflected and followed permanently. With the holoprotein diet, only those who are willing to change their lifestyle forever can lose weight. In one month you can lose minus 12 kilograms.
Usually, at the end of the 21-28 days, the following results are noticed :
- Thinning waist;
- Regulation of blood sugar, triglycerides, cholesterol;
- Balancing blood pressure and inflammatory markers;
- Improvement of the digestive system, diseases such as diabetes or psoriasis.
In conclusion, the holoprotein diet, if implemented correctly, is always effective, ensures rapid weight loss, without feeling tired, without losing muscle tone and tissue elasticity. But don’t forget to consult your doctor before following her.