Sometimes life serves us lemons and we don’t feel like making lemonade. We don’t feel like doing anything practical, we are fed up with everything and everything. Maybe it’s from the change of weather, but maybe it’s more than that. An unshared love, a project that didn’t work out for us or maybe we don’t know where to take it in life.
Sadness is part of our life, as is joy. You can’t do without each other, they come bundled in life. For the depressed and melancholy moments, we have prepared a series of sad quotes, some simply like this, others come with a ray of hope. And others teach you what to do to get over this condition. There are words and phrases spoken by people and personalities who have gone through life, said from the wisdom gained from the many experiences lived over the years. Read them to better understand how you feel and to feel better. You can choose from them phrases for pictures with sad statuses.
Below are sad quotes about life, about love, about tears, quotes about loneliness, about the passage of time , but also inspirational quotes about sadness and what to do when you are sad.
1. We are all broken vases trying to keep the flowers in them alive. – Matt Baker
2. You can close your eyes so you don’t see the things you don’t want to see, but you can’t close your heart to the things you don’t want to feel. – Johnny Depp
3. The deeper the pain digs into you, the more joy you can then grasp. – Kahlil Gibran
4 . Sad birds keep singing. – Anonymous
5. We are a sad generation with happy photos. – Anonymous
6. In any life, some days it must rain, and some days it must be dark and gloomy. – Longfellow
7. The meditative soul retreats into solitude. – Omar Khayyam
8. Only man suffers so deeply in this world that he has been forced to invent laughter. – Nietzsche
9. Everything that has a beginning has an end. Accept this and everything will be fine. – Buddha
10. Life means suffering. To survive suffering is to find meaning in suffering. – Nietzsche
11. You can’t stop the birds of prey from circling you, but you can’t stop them from nesting in your head. – Persian proverb
12. Your greatest enemy cannot hurt you more than your own thoughts. – Buddha
13. Some days you will not find even a song in your soul. Even so, keep singing! – Emory Austin
14. I am a victim of my own introspection. – Sylvia Plath
15. We heal from sadness and pain only after experiencing them at maximum intensity. – Marcel Proust
16. Sooner or later we all discover in our lives that perfect happiness is impossible, but there are few who stop to consider the antithesis. Namely that even total unhappiness is impossible. – Primo Levi, Auschwitz survivor
17. Suffering is not eternal. – Saint Teresa of Avila
18. The pain is hard to bear. But patiently, day after day, even the pain will pass. – Theodore Tilton
19. If you suffer, thank the one above. It’s a sign that you’re alive. – Elbert Hubbard
20 . Suffering is one of the ways you know you are living. – Jessamyn West
21. People keep telling me that life goes on. But for me, that’s the saddest part. – Anonymous
22. We must live, no matter how many heavens have fallen upon us. – DH Lawrence
Sad quotes in English
Some quotes simply sound better in English. So below we have prepared our selection of sad quotes in English. I have chosen the most relevant of the hundreds of such phrases and I have translated the most for you.
23. I miss me, the happy me, the old me. The bright me, the smiling me, the laughing me, the gone me. – Mi-e dor de mine cel vesel, cel senin, zambitor, cel care rade, cel care nu mai este.
24. Every one can master a grief but he that has it. – Shakespeare
In translation: Everyone can control the pain, except the one who has it. What Shakespeare meant here is that from the outside everything seems easy to defeat, but the pain and sadness are very personal and those outside us cannot feel the same with us.
25. Suffering is not an elective, it is a core course in the University of Life. – Steven J. Lawson / Suffering is not an optional course, it is a compulsory course at the University of Life.
26. The most terrible poverty is loneliness, and the feeling of being unloved. – Mother Theresa / The most terrible poverty is loneliness and the feeling that we are not loved.
27. Go out and do something. It’s not your room that’s a prison, it’s yourself. – Sylvia Plath / Get out and do something. Not the room you’re in is a prison, it’s yourself.
28. Be soft. Don’t let the world make you hard and don’t let pain make you hate. Don’t let the bitterness steal your sweetness. /
Keep your goodness. Don’t let life make you harsh and don’t let suffering make you hate. Also, don’t let bitterness steal your gentleness.
29. Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats. – Voltaire / Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in lifeboats.
30. I don’t believe that sheer suffering teaches. If suffering alone taught, all the world would be wise, since everyone suffers. To suffering must be added mourning, understanding, patience, love, openness, and a willingness to remain vulnerable. – Anne Morrow Lindbergh
I don’t think suffering simply teaches you. If so, everyone would be wise, because we all suffer. We must add to the suffering
31. Be gentle with yourself, you’re doing the best you can. – anonymous / Be gentle with yourself, give everything you have, do everything in your power.
32. I like living. I have sometimes been wildly, despairingly, acutely miserable, racked with sorrow, but through it all I still know that just to be alive is a great thing. – Agatha Christie /
I like living. I was sometimes horrible, desperate, acute with grief, squeezed with anger, but beyond all I still know that just being alive is a great thing.
33. I have a deeply hidden and inarticulate desire for something beyond the daily life. – Virginia Woolf /
I have a deep, deep, hard-to-put desire to do something beyond everyday life.
34. Sometimes memories sneak out of your eyes and roll down your cheeks. – anonim
35. They who are sad find somehow sweetness in tears. – Euripides / Those who are downcast find some beauty in tears.
36. Waste not fresh tears over old griefs. – Euripides / Don’t cry for something you lost a long time ago.
37. H.O.P.E. – Hold on, pain ends.
38. When you give someone you whole heart and he doesn’t want it, you cannot take it back. It’s gone forever. – Sylvia Plath
39. Stop planting flowers in people’s yards who aren’t going to water them. / Stop, stop planting flowers in the gardens of those who do not intend to water them.
40. Days will pass and turn into years, but I will always remember you with silent tears. – Anonim
41. A love like that was a serious illness, an illness from which you never entirely recover. – Charles Bukowski
Below, you have a special section of sad quotes about love. Scroll to find out.
Sad quotes about life
Life is sometimes stressful. We don’t know where to go, we don’t know what would be best for us. Or the weights seem impossible to carry on, we feel we can’t get out of the harbor. We shoot too much, we get tired, we want a breath of air, peace and freedom. Life has its complicated paths, it may be the above reasons or others, for which we feel the need to read some sad life quotes to express our condition. Below is our selection on this topic.
42. The most difficult thing, but also the most important thing, is to love life, even when we suffer, because life is everything. – Lev Tolstoy
43. One of the most depressing things about life is that we all tend to procrastinate. We all dream of a magical rose garden, instead of enjoying the roses that bloom under our window today. – Dale Carnegie
44 . The first half of our lives are destroyed by our parents and the second by our children. – Clarence S Darrow
45. It takes more courage to live than to die. – Napoleon
46. To be asked: why are you sad, life is wonderful, it
‘s like being told “why do you have asthma, it’s so much air!”. – Anonymous
47. It is better to feel deep suffering than to taste superficial pleasures. – William Hazlitt
48. Pain cannot be shared. Everyone wears it alone, in their own way. It’s his burden. – Anne Morrow Lindbergh
49. The fact that you cry does not indicate that you are weak. From birth, it’s a sign that you’re alive. – Charlotte Bronte
50. To die is nothing. It’s awful not to live! – Victor Hugo
Sad love quotes
Love is the most beautiful feeling but also the most painful when it is not shared or the relationship ends up falling apart. We all loved, we all suffered at one point and our hearts were torn to pieces. So are the poets, writers, etc. below. Here is our selection of sad love quotes.
51. It’s hard to fall asleep when your heart is at war with your mind. – Anonymous
52. Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened. – Dr. Seuss
53. My soul is an empty carousel at sunset. – Pablo Neruda
54. To be afraid of love is to be afraid of life, and those who are afraid of life are three-quarters dead. – Bertrand Russell
55. To whom do you turn when the only person in the world who could stop you from crying is one and the same person who made you cry
56. And suddenly we were two strangers again. – Anonymous
57. I wish I had the power to ignore you as you ignore me. – Anonymous
58. It hurts the worst when the person who made you feel so special yesterday makes you feel so unwanted today. – Anonymous
59. Let us generously forget those who cannot love us. – Pablo Neruda
60. I wanted to tell you all my secrets. Instead, you became one of them… – anonymous
61. If nothing can save us from death, at least love can save us from life. – Pablo Neruda
62. True love will triumph to the end – it may or may not be a big lie. But if it’s a lie, it’s the most beautiful lie we have. – John Green
63. The real loss is when you lose something you loved more than yourself. – Anonymous
64. I tried, you didn’t. I cried, you didn’t. You left, I stayed. – Anonymous
65. I’m always the person who loves the most… That’s my problem. – Anonymous
66. Why are you troubled
Because you speak to me with words. But I look at you with feelings. – replica from the movie Pierrot Le Fou
67. What good are all the kisses in the world if you don’t kiss me
68. We always go back to the first loves. – Etienne
69. Tears are words that the heart cannot utter. – Anonymous
70. Tears are summer rains for the soul. – Alfred Austin
71. The tears of strangers are only water. – Russian proverb
72. When we lose a loved one, the bitterest tears are for the hours when we have not loved him enough. – Maurice Maeterlinck
Sad phrases about death
Death is the greatest fear for any of us. We do not want to lose our loved ones, we do not want to disappear in our turn. Unfortunately, death is part of our life, it is a fact that we cannot ignore. For the moments of sadness in which we are surrounded by all sorts of dark thoughts thinking about death, we have prepared some deep sad phrases for you.
73. It’s sad when someone you know becomes someone you know. – Henry Rollins
74. To die completely, a person must not only forget but also be forgotten, because if you have not been forgotten you are not dead yet. – Samuel Butler
75. Our fear of death is like our fear that summer will be short, but after enjoying its fruits and warmth, we tasted its pleasures, we say we enjoyed it.
76. Death always comes too early or too late. – English proverb
77. Death is not terrible, it is only the last great thing in life. – Jean Giraudoux
78. There is always time to die… – Jewish proverb
79. In the anxiety of dying is also the anxiety of being forgotten forever. – Paul Tillich
80. When memories weigh more heavily than our dreams, it means that we are getting older. – Bill Clinton
81. The Indian summer of life should be a little sunny and a little sad, like the season, but infinitely deep and rich in nuances. And never in a hurry. – Henry Adams
82. After the age of 30, the man wakes up depressed every morning. – Emerson
83. Age always wins and we must learn to grow old. – Diana Cooper
Sad phrases about loneliness
Loneliness is the disease of the 21st century. We all feel lonely sometimes, but maybe the youngest feel alone. They feel misunderstood, unappreciated and these are emotions that are part of the feeling of sadness given by loneliness. At any age, loneliness is oppressive. To help you get over these feelings, I have prepared some deep thoughts on this topic said by some of the greatest psychologists of all time but also authorless phrases that capture so well the feeling of loneliness!
84. Those who try to make everyone happy often end up feeling alone.
85. Loneliness does not come from not having people around you, but from the inability to communicate to them what is important to you. – Carl Jung
86. Loneliness does not mean being alone, but the feeling that no one cares about you. – Anonymous
87. Sometimes we think we want nothing more than to disappear, when in fact all we want is to be found. – Anonymous
88. Loneliness digs canyons in our souls, so deep and vast that you can get lost in them forever untraceable, forever unseen. – Edward Lee
89. You don’t realize how lonely you are until the end of the day and you want to tell someone about your day but you have no one. – Anonymous
90. The saddest thing is when you feel down, you look around and you realize that there is no shoulder to lean on. – Anonymous
Inspirational phrases about sadness
We are sad, but we must not let ourselves be overwhelmed by sadness. That’s why I have prepared some antidote phrases for you. If you are depressed, melancholy, hopeless, we hope it will help you overcome this condition.
91. We are all broken, so the light enters us. – Ernst Hemingway or in English, where it sounds better We are all broken. That’s how the light gets in.
92. When life closes a door for you, open it again. This is how doors work…
93. If the feeling of compassion you feel for others does not include you, then it is incomplete. – Buddha
94. There is not a day on this Earth in which women and men do not perform great deeds, do not say inspired words, but do not suffer immense pain. – Charles Reade
95. The most important achievements in the world were achieved by people who kept trying when everything seemed hopeless. – Dale Carnegie
96. Only because of problems do we grow mentally and spiritually. – Mr. Scott Peck
97. Our supreme glory is not to never err, but to rise above every time. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
98. Sometimes new beginnings are disguised in painful endings – Lao Tzu
99. Sadness is often a form of fatigue. – Andre Gide
100. Make a goal of doing something you don’t like to do every day. This is the golden rule for fulfilling your duty without suffering. – Mark Twain
101. We must learn to rise from the table from which love is no longer served. – Nina Simone
102. Stop looking for happiness in the same place where you lost it. – Anonymous
103. Sometimes drinking coffee with your best friend is the best therapy.
104. The best therapy has fur and four legs.
105. You can’t be depressed when you eat a good cake.
106. The best way to rejoice is to cheer someone else up. – Mark Twain
107 . Never underestimate the power of beautiful clothes on a bad day.
108. Life does not have to be perfect to be wonderful.
109 . Stop splitting the thread into four. You can’t control everything, let things go by themselves.
110. Eat your spaghetti to forget your regretti.