You don’t have to jump from one modern diet to another to look and feel good. It is enough to remember the ancestors of the stone age and to try simple dishes. The Paleodiet is a modern version of the diet of primitive humans.
The Paleolithic diet is based on the ideology that modern people should eat just like cavemen, as it was until the agrarian revolution.
The first to say “yes” to the hunters’ menu was gastroenterologist Walter Vogtlin. In 1975, he published the book “The Stone Age Diet”, in which he argued that humans are carnivores and that the paleo diet, based on the highest percentage of protein and the fewest carbohydrates, will save the world.
In the 1980’s, scientists S. Boyd Eaton and Melvin Conner concluded that, in terms of genetics 40,000 years ago, the human body had not changed. Admittedly, Eaton and Conner allowed skim milk, wholemeal bread, brown rice, and potatoes, although there were no cows in the cave and no grain. 10 years later, the scientist and nutritionist Loren Cordein published the book “Paleodiet”, which is considered the main figure in the nutritional philosophy of the late Paleolithic era.
According to paleo dieters, the “traces” of agriculture do not match our genes, becoming the cause of various diseases, overweight problems and many ailments. Therefore, whole food groups are excluded from nutrition, and the paleo diet is no longer just a diet, but a lifestyle that you must fully accept.
What are the principles of the paleo diet?
The basis of pre-agricultural nutrition is animal protein, ie meat. Namely animals, not vegetable proteins, accelerate metabolism and help with weight loss. In addition, animal protein is much easier to digest than fats and carbohydrates. In his book, Cordain advises eating every five hours, that is, three times a day, during which time the protein manages to be absorbed. Another two hours are dedicated to burning subcutaneous fat. At the same time, light snacks between meals are allowed.
Products Allowed and Prohibited in the Paleo
Diet The Paleo Diet is based on the following products:
- Lean meat and organic birds
- Wild meat
- Wild fish and seafood
- Eggs, but no more than two egg yolks a day
- Nuts and seeds, including almond and coconut flour
- Starchless berries, fruits and vegetables
- Herbs and spices
- Vegetable oils: olive, flaxseed, coconut, avocado, walnut and macadamia
But in the paleodiet you have to give up:
- Cereals – bread and cakes are digested quickly and will soon make you hungry again.
- Beans and peanuts
- Dairy products – the digestive system hardly absorbs sugar, lactose and milk proteins. In addition, they increase the level of insulin in the blood. Alternative products would be almond milk and coconut milk. You will get calcium from nuts, beans and cabbage.
- Starchy vegetables such as potatoes, tapioca and sweet potatoes – these increase blood sugar levels.
- Sugar – Stone Age people did not know what sugar meant. Following their example, it is necessary to abandon any sweets, including chocolate, lemonade and carbonated juices. Only water and herbal infusions are allowed from drinks. Honey is also allowed.
- Salt, which is not the best ally of the cardiovascular system. The refusal of pickles and salt itself is only half the battle. The real “white death” is hidden in canned and ready-made products. We say “no” to industrial sauces, iron cans and salted walnuts.
“Primitive” recipes, suitable in the paleo diet
Coconut flour pancakes
- 3 tablespoons coconut flour
- 3 oua
- 2 tablespoons grated apples, no sugar
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 3-4 tablespoons of coconut milk
- Baking soda on the tip of a knife
- 1/4 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
Combine coconut flour and eggs. Mix with apples, milk and coconut oil. Then add the baking soda with vinegar. Fry the pancakes on a pan greased with coconut oil. Serve them with fresh fruit.
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 4 teaspoons gelatin
Pour gelatin over 1/4 cup of coconut milk. The remaining milk is heated in a small saucepan over low heat. Pour the gelatin and mix until dissolved. Refrigerate for five hours. Then mix for 30 seconds until the texture looks like cottage cheese. Add to taste: fresh berries or honey.
Weekly menu for paleo dieters
- Breakfast : omelet of three eggs or three boiled eggs. Steamed vegetables.
- Snack : an apple or a banana.
- Lunch : 100-200 gr. white fish or chicken. Vegetable salad.
- Snack : 100 gr. of berries or 30 gr. nuts.
- Dinner : vegetable salad, sprinkled with grated walnuts, with olive oil dressing and lemon juice. 400-500 gr. steamed chicken. Pumpkin soup, bell pepper, onion and carrot.
- Breakfast : omelet with two eggs or two boiled eggs. Fruit salad.
- Snack : a banana or a pear, a handful of fresh fruit.
- Lunch : 200 gr. chicken breast or 200 gr. Ground beef. Steamed vegetables.
- Snack : fruit salad (banana, mango, juice) with nuts and seasoned with lemon juice.
- China : 200-300 gr. chicken breast. 150-200 gr. boiled asparagus + olive oil.
- Breakfast : omelet of three eggs with greens. Fruit salad.
- Snack : a peach and some fresh berries.
- Lunch : 150 gr. boiled seafood. Chinese cabbage salad, cucumber and greens, seasoned with olive oil.
- Snack : 30 gr. of nuts and an apple.
- China : 200 gr. steamed red fish. Cauliflower with onions.
- Breakfast : two boiled eggs. A handful of fresh fruit.
- Snack : apple and walnut salad.
- Lunch : 150 gr. steamed white fish. Fresh vegetable salad (Chinese cabbage, cucumbers, onions, bell peppers).
- Snack : a banana or an apple.
- China : 200-300 gr. chicken breast with mushrooms and herbs.
- Breakfast : omelet with three eggs + greens. Fruit salad.
- Snack : an apple or 100 gr. grapes.
- Lunch : 200 gr. of steamed beef with vegetables. Fresh vegetable salad.
- Snack : 30 gr. of nuts and a banana.
- China : 200 gr. of boiled fish. Vegetables, mushrooms and onions.
- Breakfast : two boiled eggs. Fruit salad.
- Snack : a banana, nuts.
- Lunch : 200 gr. red fish cooked in the oven with lemon. Baked vegetables with mushrooms and onions.
- Snack : fruit salad and a handful of berries.
- China : 200 gr. steamed turkey breast. Cauliflower soup, zucchini, eggplant and onion.
- Breakfast : omelet with two eggs and greens. Steamed vegetables (zucchini, cauliflower).
- Snack : 30 gr. nuts and an apple.
- Lunch : 150 gr. of beef cooked in the oven with mushrooms. Fresh vegetable salad (Chinese cabbage, cucumbers, onions).
- Snack : a banana and a handful of berries.
- Lunch : 200 gr stew. white fish with onions and greens. A portion of steamed vegetables.
Important! Take vitamin and mineral complexes according to your body’s needs! If you do not intend to follow a strict paleo diet, you can add dairy products to your diet. Cook meat and fish, preferably in olive oil.
How fast you get the results you want with the help of a paleodiet
Refusing carbohydrate-rich foods and replacing them with protein and fiber inevitably leads to rapid weight loss. The first kilograms begin to “melt” for 1-3 weeks.
In addition, paleo dieters are virtually hungry because of their stable blood sugar levels.
All foods allowed have a low or medium glycemic index, so insulin levels are stable and appetite drops considerably.
Moreover, unlike standard diets that ensure a sudden decrease in the number of calories in the diet, the paleo diet only keeps blood sugar levels low, which in turn stimulates the fat burning process. It is important to follow the rules of permitted and prohibited foods.
How the Paleo Diet Autoimmune Protocol Works
Before starting the paleo diet, it is very important to detect chronic and autoimmune diseases. In this case, you will initially need to regulate your immune system. Chronic diseases can respond both positively to changes in diet and negatively.
- You need to make sure that you have enough nutrients in your diet and that you are supplied with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and essential acids. Micronutrient deficiencies and imbalances are key factors in autoimmune diseases. When you eat foods rich in nutrients, you also regulate your immune system, hormonal system and neurotransmitter production. A diet rich in nutrients provides all the needs of the body.
- It is recommended to support intestinal microorganisms. Foods that irritate the gut or damage will be avoided.
- Hormone regulation, which depends on dietary factors (such as excessive sugar consumption or fried).
The “Autoimmune” paleo diet protocol is designed to promote the regulation of the immune system. It also promotes relaxation and stress reduction.
Experts’ opinions and celebrity reviews about the paleo diet
Miley Cyrus, Megan Fox and Jessica Biel are on the list of celebrities who kept the diet of primitive people. The stars are not only followers of this type of diet, but also support paleo crossfitting, which goes hand in hand with the paleo diet, protein being the main muscle builder. Following this regimen, the actresses noted the accumulation of energy, weight loss, a calmer sleep, the improvement of the general condition of the skin and hair and the strengthening of the immune system.
However, many well-known nutritionists consider paleodiet to be dangerous to health. According to them, there is a high risk of serious disorders of the body, especially in people who adhere to this type of nutrition for a long time.
Critics say it is based on studies that confirm the relationship between excessive protein intake and the risk of cardiovascular disease. At the same time, avoiding complex carbohydrates, including cereals, scientists say has a negative effect on metabolism, causing digestive disorders, hormonal disorders and fatigue.
What is paleofitness
Paleofitness has become a logical continuation of the “paleodiet + crossfit” duet. The Frenchman Ervan le Corre is the one who invented this sport in Thailand and named it MovNat. He later transferred training to Central Park in New York, where everyone is invited to “penetrate the skin” of the cave man, namely to run barefoot and crawl on uneven ground, to swim in the river, to carry heavy stones. , to climb trees.
How it works
For most crossfit athletes, the priority goal is to get their body in shape and eliminate excess weight.
After intensive training, the body begins the active recovery phase. At this point, the muscles are experiencing an acute glycogen deficiency, which athletes usually supplement with simple carbohydrates.
If the athlete’s goal is to burn fat, he will consume animal protein immediately after training.
Thus will begin the process of ketosis in the body, which will use its own fat as a source of recovery of strength and energy.
However, there is a risk that those who practice paleofitness may feel powerless after training. To avoid such effects, you should eat more fruits that are high in healthy carbohydrates, such as bananas, peaches, grapes, pears and more.
Include in your diet several foods rich in fatty amino acids: nuts, fish, high quality vegetable oils.
Here’s what athletes say about paleofitness:
Greg Glassman – the founder of crossfit, one of the first to experience the paleodiet and feel its effect. He urges all dieters to eat as many vegetables, meat, nuts and seeds as possible, avoiding sugar and starch.
Jackie Perez – famous athlete, professional employee in crossfit. Jackie spends many hours training at the gym and follows the paleo diet, which for him has become a regular diet and lifestyle.
Cheryl Brost– The 43-year-old woman took 2nd place at Reebok Crossfit Games in 2014. She claims that the first step towards excellent physics is proper nutrition, based on the principle of paleodiet. Cheryl does not weigh every serving and does not count calories, because she knows exactly what a 100 gram beef steak and a small serving of vegetable salad look like.
Contraindications to the paleo diet
This diet is forbidden to those who have problems with the liver and kidneys, suffer from gastrointestinal disorders and have some chronic diseases. Also, diet is contraindicated during pregnancy and lactation.
The paleo diet can greatly improve your quality of life!